Saturday, May 2, 2015

April Showers Bring May Flowers: 5 Creative Ways to Show Off Those New Blooms


Spring blooms are here and its time to switch up the way you put those little lovelies on display! Atypical is my fave, so I have 5 unique ways to style your flowers this season. Here we go!

1.) Vintage Bird Cages




These are one of the coolest ways to show off those flowers! I went to a local thrift shop and found a cute little hanging bird cage for a whole $2.99. Yes, $2.99. 



I spray painted my little lovely with a gold metallic paint. 


Once it dried, I used a small, organic paper pot to repot my flowers in, and then sat that inside of the bird cage. Carefully string your blooms through the bars of the cage, and use a cute burlap or decorative ribbon to surround the pot in. So stinkin adorable! See my before and finished product photos!



Here are a few others via Pinterest!





2.) Old Drawers Refurbished


I had an old nightstand that I was unable to refurbish as a whole, but that had perfect drawers that could be salvaged. I removed one, chalk painted it (for help with chalk paint, visit our last post The Alternative to Sanding: 5 Chalk Paint Tips and How-Tos), and then potted my flowers in it. 


BEFORE

You can line it with coconut liner and plant them in that. Or, you can measure the length and width of the drawer and find a flat, plastic tray-like pot to plant them in. Choose a pretty color of the season, a royal blue, a mint green, or a classic fuchsia to paint the drawer, and even change the hardware to something a little more savvier. I used a beautiful spring color by Martha Stewart called Hosta that I made my chalk paint with. You can get it at Lowes. I loved the original hardware, but it needed a touch up. I simply removed it, spray painted it, and put it back on!



 AFTER


REMOVE AND PAINT YOUR HARDWARE. I RECOMMEND A KRYLON PAINT COLOR. I USED A METALLIC GOLD.






The drawers are unique and also depending upon the size and dimensions of them, give nice room for you to fit a generous amount of flowers in them. I think I am going to find a few more drawers to paint to pot some more blooms in this season. Here is the final product!






Here are a few other examples that I found on the net! 


(Top Photo courtesy of funkyinteriors.net)




(Photo courtesy of Pinterest.com)

3.) Vintage China or Kitchenware







I went to a Goodwill store and found a beautiful vintage china gravy bowl and potted my flowers in it. And WOW! The vintage china was in mint condition and honestly I could have left it without paint and it would have still been fabulous. But, I love to paint and I like color. So, I painted mine with a nice silver grey, something neutral that wouldn't distract from my bright flowers.





I have seen some neat ideas on Pinterest also of people planting them in china cups, pitchers, and even colanders. Who knew kitchenware and china could become flower pots?









(Both photos courtesy of Pinterest.com)


4.) Vintage Milk or Tin Cans


I lucked out and got my hands on a vintage milk can, added some color, and planted some of my flowers in it. You do not have to paint them, they are just as cute in their natural vintage state. Here is my milk can creation below.






Another idea that I recommend as far as vintage tin goes, are old tool cans or oil cans. Check out a few other tin can creations flower pot creations.




(Both photos courtesy of Pinterest.com)



5.) Wine Boxes


I decorated/designed for a wedding last year and was given some gorgeous solid wood wine boxes from the bride and groom. As an avid wine connoisseur, it was the perfect gift! 


We served wedding favors in them, but I remember thinking to myself, you could totally plant something in these- how gorgeous would that be? And I have discovered that it indeed is. Use a coconut liner or a shallow plastic pot to settle your flowers in, and then place that inside of the wine box. I didn't want to rot out the wood with moisture and wanted to be able to reuse it for the next bloom. 

Check out a few posted on pinterest!




(Both photos courtesy of Pinterest.com)

So, step outside of the box this season and plant those blooming beauties in something a little spicier! 









What other cool ways have you displayed your flowers? Or what neat things have you ever transformed into flower pots?

Tweet us, snap a photo of it, or post on our page and share @ahavadesignstx

Until Next Time,
XO



No comments :

Post a Comment